URL graphic - asolitarybee
Benedict has teamed up with British Airways to auction the Belstaff coat from the BA High Life magazine shoot for the Flying Start charity. Auction goes live from Monday 21 April. Details here:
Benedict Cumberbatch - Oz Comic Con (via cumberbitchen)
"… for no one else. That’s it. And I understand that people are interested. And as you know, my problem is that I probably overshare a bit too much. So, the media loves playing with that. The media loves to sort of throw things back at me or say that I said things that weren’t said in anything other than jest, as like a statement of fact. And those are weird things. The lack of control or perception and I can’t be in a room and make a joke like I can with nearly a thousand of you and I will be understood as well as I can by you, as I can by one journalist and one editor who goes ‘ah that’s the quote. put that up. and then we have something we can race him on’.(?) And that’s a bit … that just gets boring. But it’s part of a very privileged existence, so I wear it lightly now. I used to go get very cut up (?) about it but I couldn’t care less anymore. … And the amount of cut-and-paste-jobs that are done. You all know it as well. You can spot it. It is very easy to see if someone’s actually been in a room with me or if someone has just gone ‘ah we use that clipping and that clipping and that quote and and ooh he did that - we’ll use that!’ … and they get paid to do that, which is a slightly gruelling thing. […].”
What a great ending to my Aussie trip, so I met him again in Sydney and I gave him my present, finally. He was lovely and beautiful as usual. We took a pointing photo, his errant curl and that legendary denim shirt were perfect lol!
I gave him the clays at the autograph session. I showed it to him and explained it was the holmes family clay of him and his parents. He shouted a cute “wow, that is good…nice..” I believed he giggled a bit but he looked down so I couldn’t see his smile.
He thanked me and then I informed him about me selling the clays to his fans worldwide and to thank him for being my inspiration I donated % of my profit to charities (Prince’s Trust and Save The Children). I was so nervous and he kept starring at me (those blue eyess!!) not helping at all!! Lol. Then he replied “Thank you very much, you have to keep some for yourself for what you’ve done. Really appreciate that” (sobs)
Then he almost signed my clays thought that I will sell/auction it for charity. i shouted, “No no! That’s for you. I sell the muffin tops one!” He replied “Oh really? Thank you, thank you very much” NO B, THANK YOU!!
Then he started to write another long message for me:
Pei. You are brilliant and thank you for these brilliant creations and for your donation to charity. Much love!
And another one:
Pei. You rock! (Internal screaming)
I blocked the queue for like 2 minutes, so I thanked him and he replied “lovely to see you again!” (Deaded) i wanted to add lots of thing but he was generous with his time for me so I kept my mouth shut and walked away. I was so high I forgot my bag, I missed the stairs and sat down with blank face lol
Benedict Cumberbatch, Oz Comic Con Presents Benedict Cumberbatch, Sydney Australia 2014
Photography by me
Filmed by my good self in the first five minutes of Sundays Q&A.
I am so glad it was the James question.
Oz Comic Con/Sydney (2014)
First let me say this… the Cumberfans are the best fans I’ve ever encountered. Fandom meetings in real life are beautiful. Total strangers were chatting about university together, jumping up and down excited, sharing information about various events & celebrities, debating the feminism, status & fame, acting techniques, rude fans, life the universe and everything. Without fighting and without angst. Sharing taxis, exchanging URLs, it was astounding. All sorts of ages and genders and cosplays and just. Woah.
Now, to the stuff you all might actually care about…
- Benedict did the Smaug voice. And the Khan voice. Plus his Alan Rickman impression. Let me tell you now the Smaug voice is the thing of actual nightmares when reverberating inside a large room.
- He played us music on his phone. He has some really good taste in music.
- There was a very subtle murmur of laughter every time he swore.
- As is typical, he talked for ages and ages, getting really involved in every question.
- He, uh. He’s really warm. And he clearly very much enjoys pointing at people.
- Mostly, the crowd was good. Lots of cheering- when an interview was played on the projector, when the chair was brought out for him to sit on… I’m everyone running the event assumed we were kinda… hysterical.
- One lady was literally carried out of the photo area, having fainted. I didn’t see it happen but when she was carried in everyone applauded her, and applauded her again when she sat down. Supportive crowd.
- Towards the end the Q & A the strict format about who could ask questions broke down- everyone was running out of time and he was being a cheeky fuck. This was a bit awkward, though I don’t doubt he’s managed worse. He kept his answers short and non-serious to save time and avoid potential confrontation.
- Oz Comic Con played a video featuring his Thriller dance before he came onstage. The crowd clearly knew this was bad, bad news- they would cheer during every other part but the Thriller parts. Benedict came out dancing to a song on his phone, giving us some ‘legal dancing’ to use instead of the illegal dancing. He then sat down and explained about the video- most fans probably knew already, but clearly the staff picking the videos didn’t. Somebody will probably get in trouble for that. But Benedict was calm and informative about the whole thing, and made sure he kept the tone light, as he came out dancing. Well handled, IMO.
- Pleased to hear he’s been enjoying Australia. Jumping out of planes, surfing, dinners, vineyards, that kind of thing.
- If you look at just the picture of him and I I think it’s possible to see my hand holding onto his shirt. I was emotional, though L was worse. Excitement can be a really ‘feel it in the atmosphere’ kind of thing.
- Told us a really lovely story about meeting a childhood friend at a con without any warning at all and having a reunion.
- When asked about tricky subjects (autism in Sherlock and Julian Assange generally) he was careful but stated his opinions eloquently and respectfully.
- He was quite cold and did some big shivers and silly voices. Was also obviously tired from a long day and had wine brought over.
- Had some lovely banter with the fans.
- Talked about upcoming projects.
- Talked about geek culture.
- Gave some advice on acting that was, I think, really beautiful life advice generally and I wish I’d been able to record it because that really should be quoted everywhere.
- I’m sure there is a lot more that I can’t remember right now.
I’ll make another post, maybe with some better photos. Will also talk a bit more about my day generally- hotels, etc. But I really wanted to get down my thoughts and feelings early on. And if you were there and want to talk, or if you want to ask specifics about anything, go right ahead!!!